Block and Beam - Fitting to an existing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I looking into the ways to support a concrete block and beam floor. So I have an extension which has new footings and below dpc block work installed. The plan is to do a block and beam floor from an existing house wall to the new wall/footings.

Is it an acceptable practice to cut slots into the existing building outside wall and slide each of the beams into these slot?

I did search the internet but didn't find any info on way this should be completed.

Any pictures of the approved way would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that. You cut a hole put the beam in and the make the hole good. No need for pictures.

You will need a DPC around the beams in the wall, in the same fashion as on a new wall.

Woody

Thank you for the reply.

Re your comment "You will need a DPC around the beams in the wall, in the same fashion as on a new wall". I can't quite get my head around that. I understand that in the new wall the beams will sit on a continuous DPC, but cant see how that will happen in the existing wall that the beams are going to be slotted into. Thank you for a little more info.

If the beams are going in above your existing dpc then paint the ends of your beams with a liquid DPM like a trowel mastic.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I ment if they are below.
If they are above then no need for any dpc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back