Block lead waste trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At 5 o'clock this morning my son blocked the waste trap from the bath with beads. I can't get them out. The trap is very narrow, made of lead and is 75 years old, so I guess if anyone tried to disconnect it it would crack.
There is not enough room under the bath for a modern plastic trap. Is there any way of getting the beads out please? (There may also be other small items down there eg tiny marbles, screws.) I feel like crying - it's yet the latest in a whole very long run of things. I've tried putting the plug in and filling the bath then removing the plug in the hope the weight of the water would shift things.

Sponsored Links
An aquavac (aka wet vac) will get them out, probably in about in two seconds.

You might need several goes - between each attempt remember to run water to fill the trap again.

It will actually work best if you fill the bath with to a couple of inches depth, then pull the plug and a couple of seconds later put the vac nozzle over the plughole. Any water in the pipe that has got filled up to the partial blockage, or even got past it, will assist in drawing back the obstructing beads/sticking plasters/hair/gunk.

Failing that, all is not lost...

If there's room to cut back the lead about a foot beyond the bath outlet, then you could fit a modern waste without a trap, then add a HepvO valve. With some jiggery pokery (so you need a jiggery pokeryable plumber) the multifit connector will seal on the lead pipe.

You can then keep the bit of lead piping by the bedside as a night-time defensive weapon, in case of intruders.

A HepvO valve (part number CV1 WH) is one of these (click on the image to read all abaaaht it) :

You would also need a knuckle adaptor (part number CV11 WH).

Sponsored Links
After five days it was finally sorted out with the aid of a plunger and opening the trap and poking it about.The trap of course now leaks . The beads dislodged themselves gradually and floated up. I couldn't find anyone with a wet and dry vacuum cleaner, otherwise i would have tried this. Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome - it's nice of you to let us know the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back