block paving advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Im just wondering if you guys generally whack the sand before laying the blocks (and then add a 2nd layer of sand) or only whack after leaving the blocks proud enough to allow for compaction?

Ive been given different advice and wondered if theres a best method?

thanks

Sponsored Links
If you don't whack it first, you risk uneven compaction once the blocks are down.

We used to whack the bed then fill in any dips then whack again and level it off. Then lift the rails up 10mm, or use a 10mm packer under the levelling board and then sprinkle and float the 10mm bedding layer. I still pass jobs we did yonks ago, and they look as dead flat as the day we did them, no wheel ruts nothing. :cool:

Sponsored Links
If you don't whack it first, you risk uneven compaction once the blocks are down.

We used to whack the bed then fill in any dips then whack again and level it off. Then lift the rails up 10mm, or use a 10mm packer under the levelling board and then sprinkle and float the 10mm bedding layer. I still pass jobs we did yonks ago, and they look as dead flat as the day we did them, no wheel ruts nothing. :cool:

so you whacked it all and then leave the blocks 10mm proud you mean? and they whack down to the correct level? id have thought they wouldnt have whacked down that much after all the other compacting

and yes, the ground glass looks just like sand from what i saw

10mm will whack down about 5mm or so, so we would just allow for that when setting up the levels so when all done the surface was where it should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back