Block Paving Driveway - Front Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking to get my front garden converted to a block paving driveway and so far I have had mixed opinions from different builders.

I have read that minimum 150mm of type one MOT aggregrete should be used but two builders told me that is a guideline only and not necessarily required. One said they will mix sand and type one to about 50mm. Area required for paving is 21m2 and paving blocks are 50mm depth and they all said its about 2/3 days work but to dig 6 inches to 1 foot underground is about a weeks work as no diggers allowed in residential roads. Front garden is just grass and soil. Is it true that 150mm type one is not necessarily required for driveway for one car?

Secondly I have gravel stones facing the main dwelling, they all said edging concrete course is not required as they will put cement mortar in front of the block paving to prevent movement of blocks. Is this right way?

Sponsored Links
If it's grass and soil now, then it needs a very solid sub-base. Definitely at least 150mm. Our drive was old tarmac, and had been driven on for decades so the ground was well compacted, and our driveway contractor still wanted 120mm MOT + 50mm of 5mm-dust crushed granite, so with the 50mm block we had ~220mm taken off first.

If you don't do it properly it will rut and spread and you may as well just have thrown a grab bag or two of gravel down.

Sponsored Links
Why are they saying diggers aren't allowed on residential roads?

I've never heard this before and actually had my own front lawn dug up (with a digger) in order to have a drive laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back