Block paving over a convex area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've got a flat area I want to block pave in my garden but there is a slope up to this flat area which I want to pave too. I've seen paving on a slope where the slope is concave but I haven't seen any examples where the curve is convex. I've attached a diagram with dimensions in case it's not clear what I am trying to achieve.

I'm worried that as the curve is convex the gaps between the bricks on the apex of the curve will be too wide. Perhaps that is why I haven't seen any examples of this.
Convex.jpg

Is it possible to block pave over a convex curve like this? Do you have to shave a bit of the bottom edges of the blocks around the apex so the gaps between aren't so wide?

Thanks,
Tim.

Sponsored Links
Would it not be simpler to make the complete area a gentle slope? The result would be a 1:37 incline.

It would be sloping towards the house, or at least sloping towards the side access of the house.

Its not a problem usually and is common place in front of garages etc where a path goes down the side but you need to ramp up slightly to get a level area at the garage door. You obviously need to round off the transition a little but nothing too major.

The gaps as you say will be a fraction wider and potentially in the long term you may get slight mis alignment of your bond pattern but block paving is the best thing for complex multi plane areas like this.

To lay it you will need to screed and float the area free hand so be careful not to have a large depth of sand, be fastidious in preparing your sub base so that it mimics the final slopes and you have a consistant depth of sand.

If its not to be driven on this is much less of an issue.

You may find it very hard if you intend to lay herringbone pattern but stretcher bond will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That's good to know. Actually I was hoping to lay herringbone but I guess I should probably go for stretcher bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back