Laying new slabs over this exisiting crazy paving surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Well, i managed to snag a few pallets of Brett weathered apricot slabs from someone dirt cheap to use on my rear patio. I started out with the idea thinking the old slabs were all that was down, until i removed them last weekend and saw all this crazy paving underneath. I find it actually didnt affect the other slabs as they were always steady and didnt rock or flood. My question is this-can i lay the new slabs on top of this crazy paved surface? which i may add is level and also structurally sound for the most part. On the third picture you will see a curved area which we have dug up to install some more paving to cater for the patio table. I know that i need to dig 6 inches down with this, followed by 4" of type one, a mortar bed with the slabs on top but the main part of the patio is my biggest concern. I need to know if i can lay the new slabs on top of this, and i will still be maintaining a 30mm slope for rainwater etc. I would also like to know if i should install a gully on the curved section where it meets the main patio area for adequate rainwater drainage as i dont want water building up there. I had to explain to the wife that letting the water mount at the edge of the arc and just hoping the soild takes it all is no way of doing it properly.

On a limited budget, so a block paving firm is something we cant push the boat out on.

thanks for any help or advice.

Lee
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Well I did exactly what you are asking about 5/6 yrs ago....and all is fine,no movement or problems with standing water....I also used the angle grinder to cut down a few of the slabs I was laying to use as edgers (as in my case when looking at the patio edges from the bottom of my garden I could see two layers of slabs on the edges ie...the ones I laid and the ones underneath) so I cut down and cemented the cut down slabs in vertically giving a nice straight edge finish to the patio ,don't know about the gully though.

As i personal rule a patio less than 20msq can happily drain onto a lawn area or flower beds. More than 20m you need to consider drainage.

I have seen patios of 50msq drain onto lawns with no problems but also smaller one stay damp all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back