Paving Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I have a couple of questions about laying paving slabs.

1. I have a manky old concrete patio, and want to make it more pleasant with some nice new paving. Can I just lay the new paving straight over the existing concrete, and what mortar etc would I need for this? There are some cracks in the concrete, but nothing too bad.

2. I also want to put in a small area at the bottom of the garden for a water butt to collect rainwater from the shed roof. Not saying I want to do a botch job, but how "properly" should I need to do this? Will laying down a layer of sharp sand on compacted earth, with some slabs on top, be ok?

I'm not looking to spend loads of money or time on this bit, as it is purely for a water butt, maybe storage for a bbq.

Thanks,

Iain.

Sponsored Links
there is no problem with laying straight onto existing concrete, provided you;

make sure there is no moss, oil or grease, or any muck likely to hinder the bond.

tap the existing concrete, listening for hollow spots. if you find any wack 'em with a sledge hammer.

don't allow the paving to sit any higher than 150mm below d.p.c.

you may also find that there is little suction so it may be wise to mix the compo' a little bit stiff, or else you may get water bubbling up through the joints.

whilst you have some compo' mixed it may be wise to put a bit under that little storage area at the bottom of the garden. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back