Block paving sealers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone any experience/recommendations for block paving sealers?

Our block driveway has never been sealed and it's a bit of a pain to keep it looking decent + a recent oil leak from the car has proven so stubborn to remove, I'm probably going to have to replace the affected blocks, and I'm keen not to have to do that again.

I don't like the "wet look" sealers at all - but I have found a matt acrylic product that looks like it might be OK.

Thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try posting in the forum on pavingexpert.com might get a better response.

That forum is home to more pros in the area than here I believe

Sealers are a right pita if you need to repair a sunken area.
they do help with oil ect.
Im not a fan of any paving seal but that's more to do with being a paving contractor.
make sure your paving is perfect before applying.

if you have a stubborn oil patch try using Gunk engine cleaner.
A good washing powder applied liberally and then boiling water also works well.

What ever you try leave it a good while to allow it to work.

Sealers are a right pita if you need to repair a sunken area.
they do help with oil ect.
Im not a fan of any paving seal but that's more to do with being a paving contractor.
make sure your paving is perfect before applying.

if you have a stubborn oil patch try using Gunk engine cleaner.
A good washing powder applied liberally and then boiling water also works well.

What ever you try leave it a good while to allow it to work.

Tried Gunk driveway cleaner and that didn't improve it much, but haven't tried their engine cleaner. Might give that a go. Have some Meguiars Super Degreaser and whilst that shifts most oil residues, it won't shift this one. Didn't help that the car hadn't moved for a week so that left plenty of the time for the oil to penetrate unseen (cause of leak now fixed).

I must admit I'm wary of sealers which is why I posted up. It's not just my feeling that the "wet look" ones look a bit naff - I just wasn't sure how durable they are either. OK so I have to pressure wash, treat with weed/moss killers and re-sand every so often, but there seems a lot of prep to sealing too, and if it needs to be re-done every few years, I just wasn't convinced it was THAT much better. So I'm interested in the professionals view. Thanks.

Thanks - I'll have a look.....

Sponsored Links

That's actually a really good resource, with some interesting write ups. I think on balance, I might leave mine untreated and just take a bit more care with it in future. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back