Blockage in cold water pipes fed from cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a blockage in our cold water pipes - the tank jacket had fallen into the tank and possibly when it was taken out something was left in the tank and now the cold water pressure upstairs is lower and the toilet downstairs is not filling up at all.
How can we unblock the pipes and remove whatever is stuck in there?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
How did you find out that the jacket had fallen in, did the water flow reduce / stop before you removed it?

Try - very carefully - putting mains cold water pressure on this until you see the blockage pushed back into the tank.

Sponsored Links
I have now tried using mains water on the bathroom tap and that seems to have sorted the bathroom tap as that is running okay now, although nothing came back into the tank. However the toilets are still not filling up and I have no idea how to do the same with the toilets or should we try running the mains water through the bathroom tap again?

You will probably need to back-flush from the blocked outlets, or remove the balltaps, turn the water on gently, and flush through that way into the loo cisterns. Strip and clean the balltaps before replacing them.

Thanks for your help, I could do with a bit more advice on what exactly I would need to do to remove the ball tap. Is it just a case of unscrewing it by hand in the cistern?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back