Cold water tank draining and lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. We have a cold water tank in the loft (there's a littel expansion tank there too) and the cover/jacket had fallen in. There was never any rigid cover on it or anything. So now we've removed the cover and thrown that out, but there are bits of foam in the tank and the water is murky.

I am planning to drain the tank and clean it and put a proper cover on, but i cannot find a stopcock to prevent the tank filling up again. Ive found two, which are for the bathroom cold taps and to fill the hot water tank. Is the one that stops the tank filling up in the loft? Ive had a good look and cant find anything.

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
you want the main supply stopcock. Commonly found near the kitchen sink, or in the pavement, or buried just inside the boundary next to where the front gate used to be when the house was built.

Find it. You will need it when you have a burst or leak.

BTW bale out the rubbish from the tank e.g. with a sieve. If you try to drain it through the pipes they will get blocked

For today you can tie up the float to prevent the valve refilling the tank.

We have a stopcock in the cupboard under the stairs, would that shut off the water to the cold water tank? Im not sure of the direction of the pipes or whether it comes to the stopcock first or theres a separate feed to the cold water tank.

Once drained, is there any special product to clean the tank with, or a particular method?

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with your house so I don't know where your stopcock is.

Try it and see.

After cleaning your tank you can wipe it round with bleach to kill any remaining bacteria or fungus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back