No water from bathroom cold tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today I drained out the cold water tank in the loft to work on a leaking pipe,I turned the stopcock off to prevent the tank refilling and drained the tank by opening both taps in the bathrooom, after I had finished I turned the stopcock back on and waited for the tank to re-fill...now I have only a trickle coming from the cold tap at the bathroom basin...bath is fine and the toilet flushes and re-fills but nothing(much) from the basin tap...could it be airlocked or something?

Sponsored Links
sound like an airlock - all that water is wasted why didn't you bung the system? have you got no gate valve on your cold distribution pipe?

That was really helpful. Casey, connect a hose from a mains fed cold tap to the offending tap and slowly turn them on and that way you can backfill and force the air lock out.

Sponsored Links
well people annoy me ! why not just call a plumber out to do the job in first place!

Excuse me, but is this not a DIY forum where people come for advice on how to DIY a job.

When you were born, did they leave you in the pool for to long, under the water? :rolleyes:

well people annoy me ! why not just call a plumber out to do the job in first place!

If you're talking about fixing a leak...that's not beyond my (admittedly) limited DIY capabilities, unfortunately calling out a plumber these days usually means(in my experience) an over inflated bill and that's what really annoys me!!
If plumbers charged fairly, and I don't mean to offend the more honest tradesmen out there, maybe they would get more work and as has already been pointed out, this is a DIY site...the job I initially wanted to do was done and now thanks to the advice on this DIY site(thanks 45yearsagasman) I have cured the problem with my cold tap.
If we all just called out the "professionals" everytime we had a problem this site wouldn't need to exist, I'm just grateful that some trades people,obviously not "poolebybirth", are happy to share their knowledge/experience with those of us who cannot always afford or need to call upon their services.

This is indeed a diy site but if it weren't for the tradesmen FREELY contributing to pass the time, you lot would be none the wiser.
Have a look through some of the posts on here tonight and see some ridiculous questions asked or the how much should i be ripped off ones.
Some examples tonight and my first thoughts
Vaillant v's Ideal......is this c... serious
Connecting basin to old lead waste pipe........might be interesting.......oh dear :LOL: and some of the answers :rolleyes:
Hot water issue on worcester 28i junior.........i'm not telling you
Pump Capacitor............for a 20 year old pump.........buy a new one:rolleyes:
Ideal Classic 270FF run query.........get a plumber
and so on and so on. Little wonder we get bored with it.

For what it` worth I don`t get bored by the site - BUT I don`t like the spreading " I`ll get ripped off " threads which are fuelled by the media - How simple is it to Regulate the whole industry - like US and Aus . :rolleyes: I thank god I`m retired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back