No Hot Water Upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted new taps to our bath and had to drain the hot water tank to do so. However after turning the stopcock back on and refilling the hot water tank I now have NO hot water in the shower, bath, bathroom sink and downstairs toilet. I only have hot water in the kitchen taps and then the pressure is nowhere near what it used to be - is it an airlock? and if so how do I get rid of it?
Thanks a million

Sponsored Links
Mrs A

Its 1pm and I've just seen your posting and was wondering why no-one has replied as yet. I think they are at a loss as how to answer...!

There are a number of problems that may have occurred whilst you drained the system, some minor and some more horrible.

What you need is somene very patient to list the steps of the processes of elimination (easier to do than to list.... :( ) that need to be undertaken if you are going to attempt to reawaken your boiler system.

I hate to say this but by far the easiest route would be to
'Call A Plumber'...!!!!

Good Luck Mrs A :)

To anyone wondering, I am not a sexist plumber :)
Just a realistic one :D

What nonsense! I know exactly what her problem is and could suggest how it could be cured.

However, I know that this would be a waste of time for anyone without considerable DIY skills, tools and resources.

For whatever reason she does not want to do the obvious and call a plumber.

I was expecting that others would spend a long time explaining what can be done and then she would be unable to do it and would call a plumber eventually anyway.

Tony

Id guess at an airlock. can you force mains cold water up the kitchen tap by opening the cold and the hot and placing ur thumb over it ? (on some models u cant.

the principle is u force mains water up the hot all the way to the cold water storage cistern in the loft and clear the air lock that way.

if u cant do that u can connect the hot and cold at the washing machine point ?

u would be better off with help and make sure ur overflow pipework is in order !!

Sponsored Links
Dear all who replied
Thank you for taking the time to read my posted question, however it seems no one has come up with a solution other than to call a plumber! If I open up all the tapes and just leave them will that not clear the blockage of air?

As to listing the processes of elimination why not give it a go and then I can make my mind up as to whether I have the necessary DIY skills, tools and resources to fix it myself.

When I return from work I will reassess the situation and if necessary call a plumber.

Thank you

Mr Agile

Agile Wrote: What nonsense! I know exactly what her problem is and could suggest how it could be cured.

Why dont you then Mr Agile....?

Agile Wrote: :idea: I was expecting that others would spend a long time explaining what can be done and then she would be unable to do it and would call a plumber eventually anyway.

Do Mrs A the favour she is calling out for Mr Agile..If its nonsense..!

Again, Good Luck Mrs A :D

it seems no one has come up with a solution other than to call a plumber!

Yes they have. Read again.

If I open up all the tapes and just leave them will that not clear the blockage of air?
No.

One nice aspect of being unclueless is that we can help people, as long as they're nice too.
Suggest you find the "search " button and use it?

Ahhhh cat gotcha tongue.......................... :D :idea:

MOD 2

behave ;)

i don't want another slanging match on this forum

Good job I`m taking my Meds :LOL: ....there`s a saying in here.."there`s more outside than in (here)" :LOL: :LOL: JPC has provided a concise and helpful answer.......well said Jamie.

Firstly, my diagnosis is that Mrs A is really a male of the species!

Secondly, the most likely cause is an airlock, how to do that has already been explained but as I rather expected "Mrs A" has not followed it or even admitted seing it.

The less likely cause is that the "stop cock" which was turned off has not turned on again. It may well be a gate valve instead of a stop cock. If its proved not to be an airlock by following the advice given above then see if water is forced up the cold feed into the cistern. If not then the outlet connection to this "stop cock" should be loosened to see if there is water pressure there, it may be jammed open.

Maybe a mouse had become stuck in the pipe? Have you had any short dark hairs come out of the hot tap?

Over to you Mr A !

Tony

Well thank you to all - but I can verify that I am indeed a Mrs A and have been for the past 34 years and as well as being a woman I am also feeling victorious. Last night I went home ran the kitchen hot tap and blocked it with my thumb and low and behold a few minutes later I had hot water running from all my taps.
Yippee!
Eternally grateful MRS A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back