Blocked Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking for some more info on here. I had a block drain recently, which has now been cleared via jetting the drain in the manhole in the driveway.

How I discovered it, opened the floor hatch in the floor under the stairs to 3" deep of water, was still standing water. I pumped this out and used a wet vac for the rest, got some floor boards up and dehumidifiers running. Thankfully the area is only the hall area, a little must of went just beyond but nothing major. Its drying out well.

The question I have how on earth did it come in up under the house?

There are 3 drain pipes down the side of house, 1 x Toilet, 1 x Gutter, and finally 1 x gutter, plus kitchen and shower, there are 2 x man holes (1 at back of driveway at back of house, and a larger one at front of driveway. The font one was blocked.

I think the water maybe came in at the top end of house next to door, the man hole is about 2m diagonally away. This would mean it would run down slightly to where the hatch is under the stairs.

Happy to show some photos of the drain pipes, and man hole covers ifs any use.

Really just wondering how it got into under the house and no where else. No warning signs either. i had the hatch open just before xmas and all was ok.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it’s a clay drain it was probably leaking under the pressure of the blockage.

You could dye test the drains and simulate a very heavy flow on the drain to see if anything else comes into there.

I would have expected the water to come either back up the pipes or up in the driveway where the drain runs along. I wouldnt expect it to come up in the house, the area it appears to have come up is 3m from drain line and slightly upwards slope, which makes it strange.

I have the drains being inspected today via cctv so hopefully find a cause

I

I have the drains being inspected today via cctv so hopefully find a cause
let us know how it goes - I suspect a rainwater drain - they were often not jointed as good as foul water

Sponsored Links
The guy came and CCTV the drain and nothing, drain was fine, no breaks or cracks. He said with it being clay and blocked the water would have seeped through and found it way to come up under house. I still dont fully understand why it would come up under the house, but the guy said it happens alot.

Would have though backing up the pipes would have been a quicker faster route for water to take.

Last edited:
It goes the easiest way.

I have to pump out a subfloor tomorrow where the water has travelled a good distance to be under the house, no blockage, just leaking joints.

I managed to have a look under more of the floor and thankfully it just seems to have come up in the one section so caught it in time I think. I get the water thing it will always go the easiest way, looking at it, the easiest way is back up the pipe out the over flow in the driveway, rather than 3m left towards the house plus travelling up through the ground, the pipe must be 6ft under in the driveway. Doesnt make sense to me butI am know nothing about drainage so cant figure this one out in my head.

Thankfully no more water, pipe is ok and no damages, so just need to keep an eye on things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back