Blocked Fireplace vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

During recent decorating and renovation I uncovered a bricked up fireplace in a bedroom. There was a vent fitted (clogged with paint though) and through the hole in the brickwork where the vent was I can see piles of debris, bits of bricks, mortar etc.

The chimney has a flue liner fitted and an electric fire has replaced the gas one in the room downstairs.

House is 1920's with a fireplace in each bedroom, chimney looks like it splits at first floor level.

Question is should this vent be blocked up with debris like it is? I imagine there should be some airflow (can't feel any) The brickwork is pretty grotty and needs patching up anyway so is it worth opening the flireplace up, clearning out the debris and blocking it up again?

Sponsored Links
Probably best to remove rubble if its blocking through ventilation - but if the flue liner is providing a clear opening for air flow then perhaps simply install a new c/breast vent.

The elec fire, of course, doesn't need a flue.

FWIW: all unused flues should be swept, if its possible.

If you can put your hand through the vent hole and light a cigarette lighter, you should be able to see if there is a draught. If there is too much debris, use a vacuum cleaner to clean it out. You don't actually need a gale blowing up the flue. FWIW the chimney pot might be capped. leave knocking holes in the fire breast as your VERY last resort.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back