vent in defective flues in chimney breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would have posted this on the gas-fitters page but access is denied.
Dear Brothers. There is currently a debate on the plasterers forum in respect of bricking-up former fireplaces and placing a vent in the brickwork.
I once did this on a bedroom fireplace (as part of an improvement grant) and found that when we burnt wood in the lounge, smoke came out of the vent in the first floor bedroom. I thus reasoned that first floor bedroom fireplaces when bricked up should not have a vent. The only downside that I am aware of is that contaminants within the masonry, a consequence of many years of fuel burning may migrate into the surface of the bedroom wall plaster and require remedial treatment.
At the time my investigation revealed that the mortar and much of the brickwork of the flue had deteriorated in such a way as to allow the smoke from the flue serving the downstairs to migrate through the 4.5 inch brickwork and into the flue serving the first floor fireplace and thus into the bedroom via the vent. It was possible to clearly see the wood smoke coming through the vent.
I can understand that wood smoke has an advantage in being seen and smelt while other gases are less discernible. What interests me is the wisdom of plasterers taking on the role of providing a design solution to avoid problems from redundant flues.
For example in houses with back to back flues with neighbours, for example in a terrace of pre-First World War housing, how safe is it to place a vent in a ground floor fireplace-opening that has been bricked-up? I am particularly thinking of situations where the neighbour has an unlined flue, is using a gas appliance and his/her flue becomes blocked and the bricks and mortar in the flue are shot. Is the potential danger from this rare? occurrence so remote that vents at ground floor are a reasonable provision?
Is there any guidance under gas regulation or codes of practice to provide the best guidance for plasterers and others who want to do work according to best practice?

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back