blocked hot water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an almost completely blocked hot water pipe which supplies sink on third floor of a 6-unit building. Moved in with problem already existing. Not easy to trace pipe from water heater in basement. As far as I know, but correct me if I'm wrong, water supply pipes cannot be rodded like drain pipes. Don't know if blockage is mineral accumulation (building is over 100 years old) or whether someone at some point may have created the problem and failed to mention it. There are at least 10 other hot water faucets in building fed by same water heater and functioning normally, including bathroom faucets in same apartment. Looking for any tips on how to either isolate location of blockage so that blocked pipe section could be replaced or possibly being able to clear blockage without replacing pipe. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Read a couple of posts regarding cold water supply pipes which had been blocked by known substance such as wad of fiberglass and suggestions about back-flushing blockage using garden hose. I already tried back-flushing using pressure from cold water feed and opening hot water supply line in basement near hot water heater. It only helped a little for a while before reverting to the original trickle-flow.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention that the problem has nothing to do with the faucet/tap apparatus itself because the hot water trickles out even with the faucet completely removed. The blockage is in the pipe branch which feeds this third floor kitchen sink. All the other hot water faucets in building, be they for kitchen/bath sinks or bathtubs/showers, flow normally. I'm trying to figure out how to figure out where the blockage in pipe may be in order to open up the wall and replace the blocked pipe/joint OR clear the blockage without tearing anything apart. Thanks.

Have you checked any isolating valves are fully open?

Gate valves can fail, only allowing a trickle of water to pass.

Any check valves fitted ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back