Blocked intercept Trap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I've discovered that the intercept trap in my back garden is properly blocked. It's obviously been like this for years as the waste has been using the rod access pipe to reach the main sewer.
I've been at the block using drain rods for a couple of days but still no joy, it feels solid down there.
Will the power washer drain attachment work or is this a job for DynoRod?

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
Guys,

I've discovered that the intercept trap in my back garden is properly blocked. It's obviously been like this for years as the waste has been using the rod access pipe to reach the main sewer.
I've been at the block using drain rods for a couple of days but still no joy, it feels solid down there.
Will the power washer drain attachment work or is this a job for DynoRod?

Cheers for any advice

It all depends on what is causing the obstruction. Wipes are a tough one to clear, as are tree roots and cement.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a pressure washer?

If so then put the end of the pressure gun into the blockage and pull the trigger.

As long as the end of the pressure washer is in the blockage then there should not be much blow back.

I have a 3m pressure gun that I use for this and it clears the interceptor in seconds.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
dig it out - remove it.
dont go near Dynarod or similar outfits.
this is a simple DIY job or, probably best, a job for a local tradesperson.

intercept traps, like fresh air inlets (FAI) were Victorian ideas that were great attempts at sanitation hygiene for that time (they rightly had fears about diseases associated with drainage) but there's no place for them in modern residential drainage.

langtounboy, good evening.

A dig out is a last resort, there are several hundred thousand such devices all still working, as intended?

Have a go with a power washer wand, it can clear the block in seconds or sometimes it takes a bit more time, as posted if the "so called" Flushable Wipes [Spit / Spit] then they can cause issues up to and including "fatbergs"

If the power washer does not work, a Question? do you have any "insurance policies" covering your Electrical breakdown / white goods breakdown / Drains??? these type of policies are operated by such companies as "Homecare" or your Utilities provider, all major utility providers, whether Electricity or Gas tend to "badger" their customers into entering into such "peripheral to them" such Insurance "deals"

If DIY options do not work, and there is no appliance insurance cover [as above] you can fall back on your Household Insurance and make a claim, OK next year the Premium will rise, but that is why there are comparison sites out there ??

Ken.

"all still working, as intended?" - in 2019 interceptor traps are "intended" for what?

interceptor traps were originally used to prevent sewer gases entering the house - wet fixtures for many years have been individually trapped in accordance with the Regs. hence there's been no need for interceptors, except to provide work for DynaRod etc.

power jetting obviously works but the point is not to be clearing occasional or constant interceptor blockages but to eliminate all interceptor blockages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back