Blocked radiator return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to forum but have been reading it for a while, I have a blocked return pipe (10mm) on a downstairs radiator, I changed the rad and both feed and return valves but its still not working.

I drained it down from the feed line and it was clear free flowing water, however when i disconnected the return line nothing come out, i tried to clear it using instrument airline (6 mm) initially it wouldn't go further than 2 inches in but using a little force it went in and i got some black sludge out.

I could only clear around 10 inches as it stopped at an elbow but i started to get a dribble of water out.

I put it all back together and tried it in the hope it would force water through but it didn't.

I have a RGI coming out on Wednesday to see what he can do, do you think he will powerflush it or try to replace the pipe, I would rather he didnt replace it as its behind plaster board and it looks like it would be messy.

Any thoughts would be welcome as would some idea as to how much it would cost as I dont have a clue.

The system is around 12 years old and has been treat with fernox a few times due to house extensions and a pump that needed replacing a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
A powerflush won`t shift it - but I`ve had sucess with disconnecting @ the heating manifold and rigging up JG speedfit pipe to the 10mm copper - then putting mains water pressure through it :eek: So if it`s connected @ both ends and one end run to outside( ideally a drain or manhole ) you can give the pipe a damned good blast :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Job sorted, plumber came round and wanted to powerflush, i asked if it would clear a blocked pipe, he didnt seem too sure so i left it.

Decided to have another go poking it through with my hollow instrument air line, drained ch system and took off elbow and started to rod the pipe, it took an hour with blistered thumbs and fingers but finally got it to push in and out without restriction, air line I used was full of black sludge.

Put some sentinel x800 in and filled the ch system again, within an hour the the radiator started to get warm and after a lot of running around bleeding air out and balancing I have all radiators piping hot.

Going to leave sentinel in for a couple of days before I drain it and refill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back