Blocked waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a waste pipe which has started to back up a bit and cause overflow. The pipe drains from the kitchen sink and draining board, each has it's own trap (these are clear), then down towards the outside of the house. In the middle of the sink and the wall outlet is the washing machine drain that drops into this waste pipe, it is this one that is backing up and overflowing as it is the lowest point.

Initially I cleared out the pipes using Caustic soda and boiling water and got a load of black slim and white powdery/grainy gunk out and as far as you can see down the pipes with a torch they are clear BUT there are 2 90degree corners before going outside where you cannot see.

Having undone the waste pipe for the washing machine and blowing hard down it (sealing it my end) it does seem that there is still some restriction. I think essentially this should just be an empty pipe about 4 or 5 metres long and therefore I shouldn't get any restriction when blowing down it.

Yet I can't quite believe that the 4 metres of pipework I can see are spotless and there is a blockage in the bit I can't see, having got so much crud out already.

What do we reckon?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How old is the house? (and a photo of the downpipe connection might be useful)

It's 1930's but has new pipework.
I've managed to get the worm all the way through so it's sticking out the other end.
Hasn't pushed any gunk through with it but certainly drilled through some as the corkscrew is gunked up.
Going to see if I can pull it back out now
The pipe has 'eaten' about 4 metres of worm

Welcome to the wonderful world of plumbing (and just one of it's delights!)

Generally a few pushes and pulls will help to loosen the accumulated gunk - the flush through with plenty of water, fill the kitchen sink and let it go rather than just running a tap.

Before I tried the worm I tried the blowing method a few times. This is the crud I managed to blow through
20161006_182615.jpg

White granular hard stuff, I'm assuming washing powder (even though we've used liquid detergent for years)

I've put the worm through a few times, back and forth quite vigorously. I've tried filling the sink up and then releasing it but it still backs up the downpipe from the washing machine a bit. To be honest there's about 4 or 5 metres of 40mm pipe that is near horizontal from the washing machine to the outlet outside.

Usual crap you get in a waste pipe it's just a matter of staying with it till you clear it unless you replace the pipework.

Looks like fat to me. You don't have to tip large quantities down the sink, even small amounts from rinsing off plates can build up, soon as it starts to cool it will solidify again. All the worm has done is drilled a hole through the middle of the blockage, to be honest, I think your best bet right now would be to renew the pipework. You'll never get it completely clean again now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back