Blocking up air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello -

I have a very small house (2 bed mid-terrace) with a draughty kitchen. In fact, it's so draughty that the central heating never reaches cut-off when the weather is very cold.

I noticed that there are two air bricks, each about 20cm by 20cm (the "grid of holes" type), directly above one another on the outside wall of my kitchen. The cold draught comes directly from them (suprisingly enough!).

This seems excessive to me, and so I'm wondering whether they are even required, or whether I can block them up? I've read a lot of articles advising AGAINST doing this, so I'm trying to be cautious and ask here first :)

The important thing is that I have a gas boiler in the kitchen, which vents directly to the outside. So my concern is whether the air bricks are related to this.

Also, the floors are concrete and the house has brick cavity walls (house built around 1985).

Many thanks :)

I have moved this to Plumbing as it maybe under gas regulations.

Sponsored Links
If your boiler is open flued don't even think of blocking any vents unless you are feeling suicidal also i would highly recommend getting it checked every year & also get a co detector

dore ya boiler hav a chimney or a big box on it out side.Better still what boiler is it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

I checked the boiler last night and it's a Potterton Netaheat.

Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge, but the flue to the outside appears to be both drawing air and expelling hot exhaust. It looks like a tube inside a tube, with metal fins across it.

So does this mean that the air bricks are serving no purpose then? I can see that if the boiler was drawing air from the room, it would be dangerous to block up the air bricks. But if it's drawing air from outside.....

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back