Is air brick ventilation required for a combination boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into our house three years ago and I've been doing bits of DIY here and there. The Worcester combi boiler is in the kitchen on the wall (not in a cupboard) with a standard flue to the outside. In the kitchen there is a large air brick in the wall (made of brick) which lets in a lot of cold air. I can't see the kitchen side as it's behind a fixed cupboard. It is a large kitchen with a patio door and two windows. I can't find anything in the manual or posts about the requirement for room ventilation. I want to block this up to keep the kitchen warmer. My question is, does a Worcester Greenstar Ri RSF Gas-Fired Condensing boiler require an external air block or can I seal it up?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and let me know if you need further details. Cheers

Sponsored Links
If section 2.4 (or equivalent) of the installation manual for YOUR boiler says "It is a room sealed appliance and a separate combustion air supply is not required in any room or compartment in which the appliance is fitted." then you don't need the airbrick for the boiler. However, don't forget it does provide ventilation for other kitchen activities and you might wish to be sure there is a minimal risk of condensation / mould forming before blocking it.

Worcester have made rather a lot of combi boilers over the last few decades, you'll need to give us a bit more to go on

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I can't see this text in the manual but it does have a section on ventilation free compartments so I'll assume that a separate combustion air supply isn't required.

My thoughts are to put expanding foam in the air vent to seal it up as I need a quick fix (baby daughter is only 1 week old). I appreciate this isn't probably the recommended solution but should do the trick. Let me know if this is a bad idea.

dont use expanding foam its horrible stuff, buy a cheap mortar mix from your local diy store and just cover the grille with it and smooth it off

Your daughters health is more likely to be affected by poor air quality than a draght.

if you have a draughty air vent, screw one of these to the wall to cover it.

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=map+adjustable+vent

You can close it to prevent draughts, or open it to provide ventilation. If you can afford an extractor fan you can repurpose the hole in future.
Have you tried one of these on the outside of the house? There isn't access to the inside part of the vent as it's behind a fixed cupboard.

Don't use foam - just use silicone - presumably you have an airbrick outside that looks like a waffle:unsure: just fill each hole leaving the front face clear. Neat and simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back