Ventilation for Gas Cooker-what are the exact requirements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate some Corgi insight please. I have a gas cooker in a kitchen within a house so it does not have an opening window or door to the outside. I do have a 6 to 8 inch diameter bore through the cavity wall from the kitchen to the outside world - it runs diagonally to make it passed the extension that was added to the house. This held a fan until I was recently told that there was inadequate ventilation. There is no air brick so what diameter of hole is required to comply with the ventilation regs. At the moment the kitchen is cold and drafty as there is a seemingly great big ventilation shaft. What diameter of vent is required and must the shaft be lined? I hope someone good folks can assist me.

Sponsored Links
Some more info would be good - what make/model of cooker is it? What are the dimensions of the room that it is in? Also, some more details of the present ventilation would be good.

Who told you the ventilation is inadequate?

Muggles, thank you for your reply.

The kitchen is small - 11ft (3.35m) by 2.1 m by 2.4 m. The casement window that used to open to the garden opens into an extension utility room that was added in the 1970s. There is a fixed circular vent mounted in the glass.

The only door from the kitchen leads to the living room.

The cooker is a Cannon Cambridge gas council no 11.133.66
model number 10282G. It is about 13 years old.

The shaft that served the fan - that ceased to work when the engineer was doing the service, was for an Expelair GX6 fan and is 7inch/18cm in diameter (at least). The fan has been removed and a vent put over the hole hence the cold air rushing in. At the moment I feel 'over ventilated'.

If the standard respose is 'fit an airbrick' I don't think that is going to be possible because the shaft is diagonally through the cavity wall to reach the outside(otherwise it would have gone into the wall of the extension) . Hence the need to know exactly what ventilation capacity is needed, ideally shaft requirement (diameter and lining) and vent size - then off to Screwfix! Sorry if this seems pedantic.

Who advised me? The british gas engineer who serviced the cooker.
I need a stability chain/bracket - I hope to fix this myself (I don't think I need a Corgi person to do this) and I was advised that I had inadequate ventilation with the extractor fan in place. An At Risk notice is on the cooker. So I have removed the fan, am about to chain the cooker to the wall but don't want to get anyone in to check it etc until I know what the expectation is regarding the vent. Then I want to clear my good cooker's name and get rid of the label.

Hopefully this helps you picture my predicament. Thank you so much for your time.

In October this year CORGI issued a technical bulletin to clarify this issue.
The net result of this clarification is that, now, nobody is sure what the rules are.
It is possible to meet the requirements with an openable window/door into the conservatory and another opening door/window to outside, but both openings must be 1/20th of the combined kitchen and conservatory floor area. You would also require 8000sq mm trickle vents through both walls.
The other way is with an extraction fan with minimum extract rate of 60 litres/sec, or 30 litres/sec if over the hob. The extracted air needs replacing, and CORGI suggest a 10mm gap under all internal doors and the final external door. Sounds draughty to me!
In any case the appliance is classified as "not to current standards", as opposed to "at risk", or "immediately dangerous", and the engineer is only required to inform you of that.
I suggest you fit the safety chain and replace the fan.

Sponsored Links
1. Fit the chain - to be done ASAP by me.

2. I can't put any vents in the wall of the utility room as the walls are concrete and unbelievably hard to drill through. Additional vents would mean getting a modified sealed fanlight glazing unit made up. ( I don't think my venting cat flap will qualify!)

3.Can the main shaft out of the kitchen be both a combustion ventilator and an extractor shaft as long as the air flows are segregated? ie ducting for the fan down the middle of the shaft and air able to be drawn by the vent around the ducting?

4.Check draw of fan as it is the not directly over the cooker. If 3 acceptable then remount van adding vent features.

5. Call a Corgi person to come and inspect and remove the label.

You can't use the same hole for extraction and air inlet, it would tend to short circuit in and out.
Assuming the existing hole is at high level, you need another hole at low level with 76sq cm free air. A 5" core drill ventilator should cover this. If you want a copy of the technical bulletin, send me a private message with your e-mail (don't put your e-mail on a public forum), then you can ask the BG numpty to show you where it says you shouldn't use your cooker.
Remember, the requirement for an ordinary kitchen is an openable window, not an OPENED window. Plenty of kitchens operate for ever with no ventilation. The requirements for extraction come from the Building Regs, and apply to gas and electric cookers. Your installation is only "not to current standards", so don't get worried about it.
(I'm away now till next week)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back