Blocking up External Doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looks like a really useful forum, and helpful members. I've searched topics but couldn't find the answers I'm after.

I'm about to start renovating my kitchen and want to block up the external doorway and fit an alternative exit to the rear through the adjacent dining room. I've had plenty of experience with most aspects of DIY but never been involved in block work.

The house is built in 1905 with a typical cavity wall construction. The doorway has a concrete step underneath with no DPC (i don't think?)

Can any one give me a brief guide on what I need and where to start?
Do I need acrow props when I remove doorway prior to blocking up, and do i need to install a damp proof course?
Do I need to tie blocks to existing wall and between cavity?
Do i also need it oking by building inspector? :confused:

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
if you have brickwork externally then you need to source a decent match.

the bricks need to be toothed into the existing. you can do this by removing every other half brick from the brick opening. this will need to be done on both sides and is very time consuming and delicate stuff.

the concrete sill will need to be removed too.

the inner block leaf can be tied in with mechanical ties, by using either wall starters or bluebird fish tail type.

a dpc will need to be laid at floor level, on both leaves. lay a separate 4" dpc for each leaf.

if you have a cavity, then stainless steel wall ties will need to be fitted every sixth course of brick or every second course of blocks. the two leaves of masonry must not be connected by anything else. two ties per course will do. cavity insulation may be include too.

there is probably no need for propping unless location says otherwise.

no need for b.c. either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back