Blocking up internal doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About to block up the door fro my hall into the kitchen now its all knocked into one space. Existing wall is thermalite blocks 4" wide. House was built in early 70's so new blocks are slightly taller.

So, my question is should I knock out a couple of half blocks either side at different heights and tie in the filled new section to the existing wall or should I just build it straight and let mortar do its thing? The wall is load bearing but I am leaving the existing door lintel in place.

Cheers in advance.

Also, for those of you who saw my previous post about installing a steel beam, BC signed it off no problem :)

Sponsored Links
Use galv or s.s. fish tail frame ties or similar every other course, staggering them so that you have one on every course I.e. one left one right etc.

Sponsored Links
All done hopefully ! Had to drill slots for wall ties individually as the new blocks aren't as high as the originals.

Give it a few days then I will get it bonded and skimmed :)

View media item 71669

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back