Bricking up a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

1950s house

Want to block up a doorway on the ground floor. The floor between the doorway is a slab so I want to dig down for footings. How deep should i go and what mix should i fill with?

Where I have removed part of the wall for the new door position, there's a DPC laid below the bottom row of bricks so I assume that I need to add that at the top of my footings before the wall goes on top. Is that right?

Also the mortar thickness in the existing wall is 30mm. It's going to be difficult to get the new blocks (the wall is blockwork) to key in to the existing wall with that thickness of mortar. Advice on that please as well please.

Thanks for your help

Richard

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why not post pics of both sides of the proposed "doorway" before doing anything else?

Can't you just build off the slab?

You don't need to tie in blockwork every course or align the gauge to existing joints. Three points is all that's needed for a doorway so bang some stainless or galv nails in where you can or use fish tail bracket ties.

Lay a continuous DPC - lapped to the existing 100mm

Sponsored Links
If the slab is 6 inches deep you can use some air eated blocks light weight they have very little load bearing. I had the same problem wall ties doesnt matter if they are not level. Also tie in wall with some brackets to the doorway.

Otherwise you want a slab 30cm deep for brickwork and dpc 150mm above groundfloor

Thank guys

I've already done this once before! My original attempt didn't work as the slab obv.wasn't thick enough and it's sagged in the middle. Hence my question about slab thickness.

I've already taken out the blocks for the key so would like to use blocks again. It will make it a lot easier to be able to lay a thick mortar for this.

There is a stringer and lintel near the corner so would have to fill in the gaps in the key again anyway to keep the strength there.

Would have been far easier to have just have plasterboarded the hole up but to do so now would mean the wall has won lol.

Thanks

Richard

I didnt see you asking about the mix first time.

For the slab you want one part cement five part ballast and one sand. Also you want the slab wider than the width of the wall

I wouldnt use 30mm joints beacuse its mortar its not designed to do that it. even at 10mm they still have some movement. Dont key it in use these http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Galvanised-Steel-Wall-Starter-1165mm-Pack-2/p/213643

If you must key it in, I suggest putting some ballast in your mortar, to lay your blocks but this will make it hard to lay.I suggest a strong mortar mix 1 cement 2 sand 1 lime because mortar inst supposed to be 30mm only concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back