Bricking up a doorway

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello a couple of noddy questions please. I'm bricking up a 2'3" doorway in a structural wall using aerated block. I estimate the opening to be 730mm wide.

How should I tie in? Do I need wall starters / frame cramps? Every row or every other row? Previously I've used the wall starter systems where you bolt a profile to the wall and slide strips up and down but they might be overkill?

If using frame cramps do you drill plug and fix all the cramps at once, or do it as you go up the wall (I'm thinking about brick dust on the beds).

The wall will be wet plastered with hardwall to match existing. Would you knock off the plaster say 5cm onto the existing blockwork and use scrim in the hardwall on the mortar joints to prevent cracking?

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
Oh, and can I do all 10 courses in one go, or is there a limit to how many courses in a day so the mortar isn't pushed out?

Wall starters actually save time as opposed to using say frame ties individually fixed. Having said that, a couple of 6" nails hammered into the neighbouring blockwork does the same thing.

You can lay as many courses as you like.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
Oh, and can I do all 10 courses in one go, or is there a limit to how many courses in a day so the mortar isn't pushed out?
I struggled to do more than 5-6 courses of 7n blocks in one day due to movement, but then I am a fairly inexperienced amateur!

Sponsored Links
I struggled to do more than 5-6 courses of 7n blocks in one day due to movement
This situation requires a couple of blocks locked in between two walls with wall starters. My niece could build it. There will be no stability issues.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
Well that's what I did, but they still wobbled a lot above 5 or 6 courses.

Having never done it before, I was slightly concerned, so finished it the next day.

I'm sure more experienced brickies would have chuckled.

I had enough trouble just stopping the mortar falling off the perps to be honest!

I'd never make it on site.

If the blocks are wet, and you make the bed joints too big, you can get problems.

Help, have barely started and have a problem already!

The walls are in fact hollow terracotta block. The blocks have been cut so that behind the door carcass are the hollow centre of the blocks. Nothing to tie into! The carcass is fixed with foam and a couple of frame fixings into mortar.

What do you suggest? I could omit the ties, or I could leave the carcass in place, trim it back 15mm on each side using a track saw and chisel, and tie into it.

Last edited:
DSC_0101.JPG

Noseall, what do you suggest please? How best to tie in to hollow terracotta?

Thank you!

Help, have barely started and have a problem already!

The walls are in fact hollow terracotta block. The blocks have been cut so that behind the door carcass are the hollow centre of the blocks. Nothing to tie into! The carcass is fixed with foam and a couple of frame fixings into mortar.

What do you suggest? I could omit the ties, or I could leave the carcass in place, trim it back 15mm on each side using a track saw and chisel, and tie into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back