Bloody Brexit

Has everyone in the House of Lords impressed you?

Our M.P.s are not renowned for the qualities you appear to believe they will have without the E.U.

Sponsored Links
That's not the point.

The brexiters argument for leaving the EU was that the Euro MPs are worse and ours (Conservative at the moment) will have nothing but the people's interests at heart.

What if the bus slogan had told the truth?
"We send the EU £350 million a week;
let's fund tax cuts for the rich instead. Vote leave."

The thing is, until a few weeks ago, it didn't matter what the PM did in office.. He could make a complete dogs dinner of the country as long as he followed the EU requirement and be assured a cushy job in the EU. This option is now closed (Or should be) to them so they now have to do a little to impress whilst in office
Maybe I am too cynical, but it's been a long time since our MP's have worked for us or listened to us. I am concerned that without some of the more sane rules by the EU that made the UK better, our MP's will make things worse.

Sponsored Links
The brexiters argument for leaving the EU was that the Euro MPs are worse
Was it? I thought the argument was that Euro MPs are less democratically accountable to the British public, than ours.
and ours will have nothing but the people's interests at heart.
Sort of. It was more that they will have British interests at heart, even if that means the interests of evil corporations in Britian, or their own interests (they are still in Britons living in Britain, remember). No one thinks British politicians are more virtuous than foreign ones, only that they are far more accessible, under far more intense scrutiny from the public and press, and far more vulnerable to the democratic process in Britian, than Euro MPs.

Last edited:
The brexiters argument for leaving the EU was that the Euro MPs are worse
Was it? I thought the argument was that Euro MPs are less democratically accountable to the British public, than ours.
Does that not amount to the same thing?

and ours will have nothing but the people's interests at heart.
Sort of. It was more that they will have British interests at heart, even if that means the interests of evil corporations in Britian,
These corporations are global now; that is the point.
They could take no notice of Britain or even dictate terms - or move.

or their own interests (they are still in Britons living in Britain, remember). No one's thinks British politicians are more virtuous than foreign ones, only that they are far more accessible, under far more intense scrutiny from the public and press, and far more vulnerable to the democratic process in Britian, than Euro MPs.
They (this lot) are less egalitarian.
Do you notice a huge difference when new MPs are elected?

The British people will still vote for the landed gentry who will continue primarily to look after their own interests.

Clean beaches, rivers, consumer protection, paid leave, work rest,
Even if some of these rules were relaxed it seems highly unlikely that they would or could be reset back to 1960s standards. Laws tend to be easier to make than to repeal. Lots of non-EU countries have their own similar rules with no help from the EU. There is a general expectation of Britian as being a 'modern' country that keeps up with or even invents the progressive behaviour of other, similar Western nations. Indeed, we have some of the most eyewateringly unacheivable environmental ambitions in the world -independent of any EU rulings.

cheap flights,
Not sure why you include this as important?

equal pay (tho still not there 100% yet) for quick examples.
Eh? You don't believe there is still a gender pay gap, do you? That myth has been debunked so many times.

No, I don't think that things will go back to the 1960's - you asked for examples of what the EU had done that was more sane and I gave them. I didn't say that things will go back but I am concerned that without some of the more positive steps of the EU then future things may not be done. I am not anti EU or actually for the EU, just more even in my opinion about it, they had their good and bad points, as have most things.
If we ever improved such things without the EU, we will never know, or how long it would've taken. The EU has helped, no denying it.
Cheap flights? I guess it's quality of life, more people are able to enjoy a week or two in the sunshine. Maybe not important to you, but for some it's excellent. It's also good for businesses.
There is still a gender gap, smaller than it ever has been, but it's there. And if you think it's a myth, that means the EU helped there too - all good isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that not amount to the same thing?
I thought you were implying 'worse' to mean 'less moral'. My mistake.

These corporations are global now; that is the point. They could take no notice of Britain or even dictate terms - or move.
I don't see why the level of lobbying would be any different from that which goes on in Brussels. If they want to move, let them move, and let smaller firms take their place.

They (this lot) are less egalitarian.
is that the old 'conservatives hate the working class!' yawn?

Do you notice a huge difference when new MPs are elected?
No moreso than when new MEPs are elected. What's your point?

The British people will still vote for the landed gentry who will continue primarily to look after their own interests.
Don't be silly. The bulk of MPs are ordinary (albeit middle class) people. Not many come from super rich families, and even less (any?) have titles.

Don't be silly. The bulk of MPs are ordinary (albeit middle class) people. Not many come from super rich families, and even less (any?) have titles.
I think there are a lot of MP's who start out with real passion and good intentions............. ha.

is that the old 'conservatives hate the working class!' yawn?
A yawn doesn't alter a fact.
Should I have said the EU is more egalitarian?

No moreso than when new MEPs are elected. What's your point?
The point is brexiters think our MPs will look after them better - they (Conservatives) won't.

Don't be silly. The bulk of MPs are ordinary (albeit middle class) people. Not many come from super rich families, and even less (any?) have titles.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say titled.
How many of Cameron's Government went to Eton and similar?

A yawn doesn't alter a fact.
Calling it a fact doesn't make it a fact.

The point is brexiters think our MPs will look after them better - they (Conservatives) won't.
In what way won't they? All you're giving is vague hand-waving and hackneyed rhetoric. "Conservatives are just a bunch of bourgeois fat cats, who's with me!"

I didn't say titled. How many of Cameron's Government went to Eton and similar?
'Landed gentry' implies titled. How many went to a comprehensive? How many Labour peeps went to Eton? What's so bad about public schools, anyway? Iif anything they offer a better education, so one could argue that our leaders ought to be Etonians rather than a Bashstreets! ;) But then, both Cameron and Corbyn believe in Blightyman's non-existent gender pay gap, so who knows.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back