Blown 3a fuse issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fuse for our boiler system has blown. Having replaced it blew again immediatly on turning the power on again. I then replaced again, turning only the central heating pump on after about 10 minutes, it blew immediatly.

This makes me think it is the pump that is overloading the fuse, my questions is, why? The pump is less than 1 year old.

I have a suspicion that water may be leaking from somewhere on to the pump. If this is the case, will the pump work again or will the water have permanently broken this? Clearly I need to find the leak and stop this, but I want to replace the pump asap if need be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you have a loose wire somewhere, or the water is getting inside the pump connections. If you do think its the pump, turn off the power take out the wires to the pump and put the wires in to seperate connector blocks and turn on the power again and see if your problem is there. Hope that helps abit

Bear in mind that electrical faults on 230 volt, copper pipes and water can make for very unhealthy surprises.
Unless you are sure that you are sufficiently skilled and experienced, you should leave this to a pro.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I have had the hot water working from the same power system so I am pretty sure that it is either the CH pump or the wiring to the pump. I have found a small leak which has been dripping on to the pump.

How likely is it that the water would have got inside the wiring of the pump sufficiently to be making the fuse blow?

We have a very awkward layout which means that we need open up a wall in order to get the pump enough to replace it so I am a little concerned this will need replacing.

I was hoping it might dry out and start working again...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back