Potterton 40 blowing pcb fuse and 3amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice will be appreciated. Got home and found the house cold. Check the boiler and controls and evertyhing was dead. I suspect the 3amp fuse had blown. Checked fuse which was blown and replaced. When I turned the 3amp plug back on it blew the 3amp fuse straight away. At the same time of this happening I noticed a small spark (short) coming from the pump capacitor wiring at the Grundfos pump. Checked wiring cannot find anything wrong. Now when I replace the fuse again the PCB fuse blows. And when I replace PCB fuse the 3amp fuse blows. Everytime I notice the short at the pump capacitor!! Could this be the pump capacitor blown or perhaps the PCB board? Your help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try running the pump from a seperate fused supply (with a 3 Amp fuse). Probably need a new pump.

Thanks for your reply. Will give it a go first thing in the morning. If the pump runs from the separate supply could it then be the PCB board? and is it common for these symptoms to occur when the pump goes.

If the pump capacitor is shorting then you will need a new pump...unless you can source a replacement capacitor of the correct type.

Sponsored Links
Gasguru. Thanks for your advice. I replaced the pump and everyting is working fine. Owe you a cold one. Thanks Michael

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back