Blown Pipe & autostopcocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a very exciting Sunday. Our new house is still unoccupied for reasons that pain me to explain, but we went there anyway to do some DIY here and there.

I walk past the outbuilding and hear a bad fizzing noise. I look at the wall on the outside - Flemish bond, single brick. It's damp. I open the door. Dear God. Water spraying everywhere, about half a foot deep in the corner (the floor is uneven so its not flowed out the door). The walls are soaking.

There's a sink in there, fed from mains water which then goes off into the kitchen that butts onto the outbuilding. This 15mm copper pipe has burst for around 1cm . Mains pressure water for God knows how long turning my shed into a wetroom. Looking at the damage / potential damage I am guessing that this happened recently, perhaps today when the sun came out.

Fortunately the damage is limited to wet walls and wet floors. There's no furniture in there and its all brick, stone and tile. The fix takes 10 minutes (I use a speedfit joint for now). My wife thinks I'm a God (although she did, afterwards, say something about Basil Fawlty)

The insulation on the pipework was the thinner 'budget' foam variety. Why-oh-why would people save, say a tenner, on something like this? Still - I'm surprised it burst. Now replaced with the thicker stuff.

Anyway - has anybody tried one of these Autostopcock things? (Google it). For £150 I am tempted just for peace of mind whilst the house is empty, but the website gives no indication as to how it works.

Just wondering.

Sponsored Links
even thicker insulation only puts off the cooling effect, and then potentially prolongs the thawing out process.

If your house is empty, there is nothing to stop you from turning off the water yourself, but remember to relive the pressure within the pipe-work by turning on a tap or three. This will give the water some room to expand into if it still freezes.

This company obviously likes to play on statistics and scaremongering. You may now feel the price is worth paying. But, even 45 minutes of 10-20 litres/min is quit a lot of water...

DH

Autostopcock looks good in principle but turning your manual one off will have much the same effect, and after all you need to be able to turn it off to fit the thing in the first place so the point about your existing one being inaccessible or seized is irrelevant. As DNH has pointed out, 45 minutes before it turns off is a long time, five minutes of burst pipe water flow could easily bring a ceiling down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The house is used pretty much daily despite being empty at nights. The wife takes the kids to school in the same village and does stuff there. It's rarely left for more than 12 hours (although, yes, 12 hours is a heck of a lot of water).

The heating is on a low setting and the valves to upstairs are off (so if a pipe in the loft goes it won't be a total disaster).

We could switch it off every time we left, but the contortion necessary is, well, too much of a hassle - and realistically - we don't all switch our stopcocks off every time we have a night away.

I actually thought the outside sink was fed from a loft tank inside the house, so I'm annoyed to see that it actually taps an extension to the rising main which then heads off to the kitchen. My bad.

A little risk assessment conducted by me today concluded that if the speedfit fitting lets go (the most likely disaster in the next 24 hours) the worst that will happen is essentially what already happened. The shed will get wet, and eventually it will leak out the door and into the drain nearby.

And my water bill will be big!!

Last weekend from Friday evening to Monday morning I was called out to 23 burst pipes. All of them were due to bad plumbing/no insulation. Most of the customers didn't know where their stopcock was or how to turn it off.

These were the customers that didn't go away for the weekend.

If I ever leave the house over night the water mains ALWAYS goes off.

Andy

It was a rather cold weekend...

I'm amazed people don't know where the stopcock is.

Anyway - you sufficiently instilled panic in me to go back to the house and switch off the stopcock feeding the shed / kitchen from inside the other end of the house (its a stupid piece of plumbing). No external pipes are now exposed. This of course has led to 20 minutes faffing around with the gland nut as the stopcock threatened to make its own flood.

Apart from the tap in the garage, which try as we might, we can't find a stopcock for. It's certainly not connected to our house. We think its next doors!

Do you really switch off the water when you leave the house overnight? Is this a plumber thing? I don't know anyone who does that!

Andy , Hertsdrainage - - you, personally ? . That`s a lot of work - I`m tempted to move closer to London so I can give you a hand son. It`s the least I can do ;) I`m sure I could spend the money :LOL: I`ve heard of Epping Forest - is it like Ashdown :confused: Maybe I could settle there

Andy , Hertsdrainage - - you, personally ? . That`s a lot of work - I`m tempted to move closer to London so I can give you a hand son. It`s the least I can do ;) I`m sure I could spend the money :LOL: I`ve heard of Epping Forest - is it like Ashdown :confused: Maybe I could settle there

??? I'm not in Epping Forest! I'm in Northants.

EDITED TO SAY

Andy , Hertsdrainage - - you, personally ? .

Oh - must read the post. I thought you were being generous. It was only a stopcock...

It's not a plumber thing, it's what I do, as I see what damage is caused by a burst pipe in the loft which has been going for a week because the householder was on holiday.

I always try and calm the customer down by telling them that I will fix the leak for them and make 'safe'. I always tell them not to worry and just claim off their insurance. You will be surprized how many customers then tell me that they don't have it.:eek:

Andy

the contortion necessary
Fit a WRAS approved remote Surestop.
remote-stopcock.jpg

Fitting a sure stop won't stop a pipe from bursting, it will just make it easy to turn off.

Andy

Fitting a sure stop won't stop a pipe from bursting, it will just make it easy to turn off.
I didn't said it would.

I was referring to "the contortion necessary" (hence the quote) with regard to the OP turning his stop cock on and off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back