Blown plaster question

Lime doesn't stay dry, it soaks in water and then it naturally evaporates, is one reason it was used.
Eh? The evaporation is just the first (and brief) part of the curing process. Thereafter the process is carbonation where the lime (calcium hydroxide) slowly absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and thus turns into calcium carbonate (which is what limestone is). In this case "slowly" means years and years, which is why lime mortar used by Romans is rock-hard - it has actually become rock. Lime plaster and mortar does NOT wear out - something must have caused it to deteriorate.

I think your point is that while that process is going on, it is still flexible and so is able to absorb tiny cracks - which is why it should be used on old buildings, and one reason why it is wrong to use cement on them.

It's used for it's ability to soak water and evaporate it. Nothing to do with the cure process. Oh it BREATHS :rolleyes:

Lime mortar degrades over time, everything does :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Lime doesn't stay dry, it soaks in water and then it naturally evaporates, is one reason it was used.
I think I see what you meant now: I thought you meant that it was "soaking in water", as opposed to "sucks water in". If you'd used the word breathe" it would have been more obvious to me. I think we agree violently, apart from the question of it degrading over time - it gets stronger as it carbonates, as I explained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back