Skirting, architraves and blown plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing up a room to be a nursery at the moment. I have removed all the old skirting and architraves as they are covered in 70 odd years of gloss paint etc.

The plaster on the walls is pretty blown in places as well, the top coat is coming away from the coat underneath. I may have been to keen with a steamer taking off wallpaper a few years ago when we moved in!

Anyways, Im planning to get a plasterer in to fix the walls. Would I put the skirting and architraves on before or after its plastered? I would usually guess after but when the kitchen was plastered I struggled to get a neat finish on the architraves as the plaster came out along the door frame... I was thinking fit the architraves but not the skirting?

Also can you re-skim a wall if bits are blown if you chip the top coat off or do I need to take it down to the bricks?

I'll get some quotes and ask the plaster what he/she thinks but keen to get on with what I can just now!

Cheers!

David.

Sponsored Links
get a plasterer to give you a quote and ask what prep work you can do to keep cost down I'm sure they will work with you

Sponsored Links
Similar to 1 John - we put a length of " stripwood " ( from Wickes ) around the frame on the face where the door opening edge of the architrave is going to sit - glue and pin it - then spread up to it . clean it off , prime it and fit the architrave , then paint it all ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back