Replacing door frames/skirting and Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the old skirting and door achitraves (and maybe door linings) of a room with nice new oak ones. The room also needs skimming. Do I put the linings/architraves/skirting on before skimming or after?

I was intending doing the skirting and architraves after but how do I get the skirting, architraves and lining to fit flush when the wall is in effect expanding by a few mm?

Sponsored Links
you will need to fit the new linings before skimming. when purchasing the linings make sure you allow for the added thickness of plaster.

also, if you are fitting oak linings/casings, then these will need to be sealed before plastering or else the oak will react with the skim and darken.

skirts and archies should be fitted after skimming.

Noseall’s spot on & you must fit the linings first. Any good plasterer will be able to taper off the skim into existing linings so you won’t get a significant difference in levels. But if you can, get the new linings an extra 2mm on width (each side) to allow for the new skim & it should work out perfect. If the plaster is good & flat, the architrave & skirting mouldings can actually be quiet accommodating in making up the difference, if you fit it right; you may require a bead from a caulking gun but you can dress this quiet nicely in to wood so it looks OK & it won’t stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back