Question RE: Re-skimming and replacing architrave / skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a property and will be replacing architrave on all rooms upstairs. If I have the walls re-skimmed, should I change the artchitrave and skirting first - before re-skimming - or after?

In the case of the architrave, I am thinking that if I remove the architrave first, then have it re-skimmed, the plaster will thicker when I come to fit the new architrave and it won't line up properly i.e there will be a gap between the architrave and the door frame?

Many thanks in advance,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Remove the old architrave first, then skim. The skim thickness will not make much difference at all where the new architrave will fit. The plasterer will feather it away where it meets the frame.
If you did it the other way round,,, plastered first, and then removed the old architrave etc,, chances are, you'll end up damaging your new plaster,,,, not good.

Roughcaster.

I often find it's a better job to replace the architrave (prime and undercoat before you fit it) then skim up to it once it's fitted, clean it down and then final paint coat.

In most instances we would remove the architraves, particularly when skimming over artex, as the bold patterning makes feathering impossible. We would then glue and pin a thin plant, say 5mm thick, to the door casing edge then skim up to this.

You can either fix the plant so that it is flush with the casing, or (particularly on the hinge/latch side) fix the plant so that it set back - mimicking the architrave set-back. This latter method does emphasize the thickness of the architrave edge but deals with the hinge and latch stick-out rather well.

The same goes for the skirting boards only without the need for plants.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, they are really useful. So, there are several ways of approaching it. I'll have a think which one I will do.

Many thanks,
Rich

Yes, everyone has their own way of working. All of them will work.

If you're definitely going to replace the architrave, take it off first. I forgot to do this a few years ago and then, when I came to take it off, a lot of the new plaster came off with it.

As others have noted, the plasterer will feather the skim around the door liner, such that you'll only have a 1-2mm gap. You won't notice this once you've caulked the architrave. Anything more, though, and you'll have to use some stripwood.

The problem with all timber is it will inevitably shrink across the grain.

Virtually all door casings i have seen have shrunk back from the original plaster by a mill or two so you are already at a disadvantage.

Plastering an architrave in is not a good idea.

Whenever someone has a wall skimmed that's what happens. No-one removes them to skim and then replaces them. Most of them are as old as the house and have never been removed.

The problem with all timber is it will inevitably shrink across the grain.

Virtually all door casings i have seen have shrunk back from the original plaster by a mill or two so you are already at a disadvantage.

That's why god invented decorators caulk ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back