blown plaster with metal under what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We had these blown patches of plaster on an interior wall when we first moved into our home. We are now wanting to decorate for a new baby, so we have knocked the old plaster back to where it was not hollow and wanted to fill it in. The thing is we can see this very dark patch which isn't plaster it is a metal and it is just rubbing away. It smells very metallic and will just stain through the plaster. This is not the only patch like this, there are 3 and also hollow patches in other bedrooms which I wonder if it is the same under. We had a man round who told us everything was condensation. We live in a flat so it is expected but we do everything to keep it minimal. We have a leaking gutter outside just by the wall in the picture but he said homes like ours don't suffer from water getting in. (Though we have a leak round our bedroom windows in which 2 floors up and above where suffering from as well due to the horrific weather back in December..but again we were told it was condensation) and a leaking drain by our kitchen. We have asked for all this to be repaired.. now would condensation cause such blows in the plaster and cause whatever the metal behind is to corrode? How would you go about making it so the metal doesn't come through the plasterwork, or does some work need doing here to replace whats there? Thank you for any replies and help :)

Sponsored Links
It might be clinker (metallic slag) from the old breeze blocks. If so, rake it out and fill with fresh mortar and skim (or Polifiller/sand).

What is the background behind the plaster, in other words, what are your walls built from - bricks, blocks, pre-fabbed panels?

Is the outside rendered?

Why would "homes like yours" be immune to water penetration - did the "man" explain?

Has any remedial work been attempted on the leaking gutter and drain?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I had no idea people had replied to my post! A few days later I gave birth so been a little busy lol. Well we still have this problem and have recently had more occur in other rooms. we also have greasy looking patches on the walls dotted around and I can put a metal detector on it and it will say it is metal under. We have someone going to have a look Saturday.. but I am getting a little fed up with being told it is condensation (it could well be) I am not going to say it isn't but not giving us any clue whether it could impact at all on the structure of the property. we want to move soon so kind want to get this all sorted .. people don't want to see unsightly bulges! :oops: thanks for any help

I would think they are breeze blocks. we are a 1970s 4 storey flat. no he didn't really explain himself as to why we cant get damp.. and they have not been quick to get the problem fixed even with us asking to get it done several times. they say end of September. the pictures at a bit of an angle so we have black metal spot in the middle breeze block maybe surrounding it then plaster painted walls.

Time was, well before the 1970's, that very odd looking cavity ties were used - they looked like off-cuts of sheet metal. They were not successful.

Your pic appears to show a "cavity"? Albeit with plaster and paint?

Why not simply carefully chisel out the metal pieces and make good to the plaster?

I dont understand you references to condensation. Condensation would have nothing to do with metal concealed in an interior wall. Although perhaps the metal has rusted and expanded and blown a little plaster?

Research on the Search facility above, about condensation causes and cures.

Are you private or council tenants?

Good wishes for you and the baby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back