Blown Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just stripped the wallpaper from our lounge walls. (Victorian masionette 1895).

The ceiling has some big cracks 1mm in width and 90cm long.

Regarding the walls, underneath the plaster the original horse hair is severly cracked and crumbling in places, and when I push the plaster it moves.

My questions are.....

Is it worth ripping it all down and getting the plasterers in?

In these type of properties are the partition walls the same as todays. I.E wood joists and plaster board?

finally

or shall I just skim over?

many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Mark B said:
In these type of properties are the partition walls the same as todays. I.E wood joists and plaster board?

although plasterboard was invented in 1888, it wasnt used in the uk until 1917 so its unlikely you have plasterboard if it is still the origonal wall

Thanks Breezer, I have investigated further it is lathe and plaster, will this still have vertical wood joists from floor to ceiling?

What im getting at is if i rip down the lathe and plaster with there be something to attach the new plaster board too?

Cheers

best thing to do with those walls is reboard over the walls don,t touch the old stuff as your only opening a can of worms find all joists and screw the plaster boards on and finaly skim them
We have just stripped the wallpaper from our lounge walls. (Victorian masionette 1895).

The ceiling has some big cracks 1mm in width and 90cm long.

Regarding the walls, underneath the plaster the original horse hair is severly cracked and crumbling in places, and when I push the plaster it moves.

My questions are.....

Is it worth ripping it all down and getting the plasterers in?

finally

or shall I just skim over?

many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:22 pm

Bet he's fixed it by now eh? Nearly four years ago. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back