Weird yellow stuff in between paper and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of stripping the wallpaper in one of the rooms of my 1920's built house. The paper is coming off ok (not been redecorated since 1965 according to the writing under the paper), but there is a very thin coating of some yellow stuff in between the paper and the plaster. Its kind of like a skim coat of plaster, but less than 1mm thick and it softens and comes off with the steam. It then sets hard again when it cools.

Anyone got any idea what this yellow stuff is? We had it on the walls of the lounge too when that was stripped and the new skim coat of plaster seems to have bonded to it ok. I'm not worried about it, but just wonder what it is.

Sponsored Links
Possibly just old glue. I had similar when stripping old wallpaper from late Victorian tenement flat. Think the paper had been up for many years!

It might even be distemper, a kind of hard-wearing coloured whitewash which includes glue size which is made of boiled-up hooves of horses. Smells a bit unpleasant. It's a real pig to get off ceilings. Cold water won't wash it off, but hot water will.

sounds like it might be distemper. No smell now but its thicker than just glue. Seems to have been used to help flatten the walls prior to papering with woodchip.

Sponsored Links
My guess that it is old glue used to stick lincrusta wall covering..is it a browny yellow?

Zampa said:
My guess that it is old glue used to stick lincrusta wall covering..is it a browny yellow?

Aaaar, jim lad, that takes me back. I stripped mine off with a blowlamp and paint scraper, because the analglypta had been gloss-painted. Didn't think of a steamer. what's it made of?

JohnD said:
Zampa said:

Aaaar, jim lad, that takes me back. I stripped mine off with a blowlamp and paint scraper, because the analglypta had been gloss-painted. Didn't think of a steamer. what's it made of?

The old stuff was lead based...

Blowlamp eh?...

that most accooont for my brIAN DAMINGe

Zampa said:

it is a browny yellow. might well be the old glue, just seems a bit thick to be glue compared to the modern stuff.

Lincrusta glue i different from the ordinary wallpaper paste..not easy when you cant actually see it...but thats my guess.

Outide guess...maybe its a stuff called dextrine...which is a corn maize..it used to be added to paste to give it strength

Contact crown paints about the removing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back