what is the purple-grey stuff on wall!???

t45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I would be grateful for any advice.
I am working on the walls in one of my rooms, removing wallpaper that seems to have been on the walls for many years.
The wallpaper is white with a brown backing – I have stripped this off using a combination of steaming and scraping.
I was wondering was, having removed the white paper and the brown backing paper (is this what it is called?), what is the purple/greyish stuff underneath this? I don’t think it is plaster because I can actually take strips of this off very easily. Some is stuck to the walls and other bits just come off in large strips. Is this a type of paper that has to be used on certain walls – the property is quite old – around about 1910, is this purple/greyish paper something that I could replace?......it doesn’t feel like wallpaper and doesn’t look like wallpaper – to me it resembles a mixture of strong paper/thin card-like stuff....but it comes off quite easy.
Is this a covering that is put over plaster or a sealant or some kind?
I have not had to remove any adhesive or glue – I did quite a bit of scraping.
Also, is it a good idea to re-plaster old walls, having removed all paper and if I should also remove this purple-grey stuff?
What would be the process having removed everything. Do I wash the walls, sand them to make smooth and fill or do i just leave the old plaster for the plasterer to remove? I would love to be able to do the job myself but being a novice i don’t think to would be a good idea!
Thank you,
:)

Sponsored Links
No idea what it is, but yes, it would be a good idea to have the walls re-skimmed. But get all the loose stuff off first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back