Prep lounge for painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally got round to redecorating my lounge, stripped all the wallpaper off and the backing paper which has left me with patches where the original coat of paint has come away with the paper. The patches are numerous, far to many to fill. Is my only option to use a lining paper and would a 1400 grade be correct? Any tips on ensuring that the paper joints don`t show through? Would love to strip all the paint back to plaster but don`t think it is feasable :cry:

Sponsored Links
What finsh are you going for on the walls?..paint or re paper?

Sponsored Links
OK...now then, lining paper does cover up a lot of bad stuff but not everything, you will need to fill around the edges of the paint and any deep depressions in the wall first.

I would say lining paper is your best option reallt...you could make the walls good and sand them but you will be painting over a couple of different surfaces and that will show up badly...plus where you have paper before will have paste residue and painting over that will cause you problems.

I wouldntnt use 1400 grade...it has a slight bumpy texture to it...1000 grade should be ok.

Size the bare areas of the wall with thinned out wallpaper paste first.

Theres a general rule that you should leave a 1mm gap in the lining paper on the seams...ignore that...its only if your papering over it...butt them up as close as poss...then paint one coat on the wall...thin it by about 25% because the surface of the lining paper is absorbant.

If any gaps in the joints are showing then darefully fill them with polyfilla...rub down and re touch them with emulsion using a rad roller...or the same roller as you used to paint the wall...allow to dry then give the whole areas a full coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back