Blown Shower and incorrect MCB

Sponsored Links
TTC, catch up :eek: the OP knows he has to change the cable.
No he doesn't. You show me where he says something like:

"oh, the cable I have is too small for the shower that I have bought. I will have to re-run the entire length of cable".

As far as I can see his intention is/was to put a 45amp MCB (or 50A at your suggestion :rolleyes: ) on his existing cable.

So, will a 10.5kw shower run on a 32a MCB and be safe if that breaker matches the cable load rating (which is what the original installer went for)?

All the instruction manuals for all three power ratings recommend a minimum of 40a and replacing the cable at the moment is a bigger job than we have time or money for. :(

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
TTC, that was my intention, but now I know that it isn't an option. I've thrown that one out of the window.

As to the question of my capabilities for this kinda work, ideally, no I shouldn't be doing it myself. I am competent to a point after rewiring my own house and a couple more under professional supervision and guidance, although the basic maths involved (wattage, ampage, voltage and the relationship between the three) is something I have never gotten to grips with. Nor have I managed to learn all of the regulations necessary to make a judgement call on this.

For these reasons, I am here seeking your advice, which I am extremely grateful for as it has already stopped me from making a mistake. :) Now all I need to do is figure out if running the new cable is an option or whether to install a 7.5kw unit. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back