Blown side of seat airbag

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car has hit wheel on kerb at speed causing side airbag on drivers seat to deploy.
Aside from possible wheel/tyre replacement and track rods etc which should be straightforward, what's the deal on airbags?
I'm guessing by law, if a car is fitted with them, then they must be working? but if not, good idea to replace anyway.
It's an old vw polo 2010.
Not planning on changing the airbag myself but guessing this could be pricey, possibly making it uneconomical to repair.
Must airbags be replaced by a certified technician?
Just trying to ascertain how bad things are.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Changing the seat is the easiest option, not sure if you'll need to change the crash sensor that activated the airbag or if they can just be reset with vcds

First thing is that they are dangerous as a DIY option so make sure that the battery is disconnected first.
it might be easier to get a complete seat from a breaker?
my airbags (Volvo) look as if the seat is sacrificial

There are “airbag doctors” who advertise. My airbag warning light is on. My MOT guy lets me get away with it, although it should fail.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Thank you.
Had a search around and there's breakers yards selling the whole seat for about 70 quid. Just hope that when plugging in the replacement seat, the system doesn't whinge that the sensor doesn't match our something along those lines.
Hopefully be fine though

Sponsored Links
On a different note, since the bash, the power steering has stopped working and respective warning light displaying in the dashboard.
Couldn't see anything untoward when i had a quick look.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Funny but they used to say replace them every 10 years - that clearly went out of the window. Might be worth an insurance claim if you have protected NCB. But it would probably be written off.

• Thanks
Funny but they used to say replace them every 10 years - that clearly went out of the window. Might be worth an insurance claim if you have protected NCB. But it would probably be written off.
I've seen a 15 year replacement interval specified for more recent cars.

On a different note, since the bash, the power steering has stopped working and respective warning light displaying in the dashboard.
Couldn't see anything untoward when i had a quick look.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
I'm guessing it has electric power steering? Is the steering wheel still pointing straight ahead when you drive in a straight line? If not, it could just be that the steering angle detector is now out of alignment. However, a kerbing bad enough to trigger an airbag, is quite a significant whack! I think if it were my car, I might be inclined to change the whole steering rack, and probably the front upright on the side that hit the kerb. Have you put another wheel on that side and turned it slowly, next to a pointer, to see if the stub axle is bent?

• Thanks
Thank you.
Had a search around and there's breakers yards selling the whole seat for about 70 quid. Just hope that when plugging in the replacement seat, the system doesn't whinge that the sensor doesn't match our something along those lines.
Hopefully be fine though
Disconnect the battery and wait at least 20 minutes for any capacitors in the system to fully discharge. Then disconnect your old seat, swap seats and re-connect the battery. Some marques have a warning light that "latches" and can only be reset with factory diagnostic tools. Mercedes, in particular, are an absolute nightmare. Even the dealer have to e-mail Germany fr code, which is valid for a couple of hours, and they have to put that into their diagnostic machine before the light can be put out! Not sure what a 2010 VW would be like in that respect though.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back