Blu cube speakers and QED stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wired a speaker system in a flat.

contains 4 sets of speakers, one 4 way switch and a CD player.
the speakers are blu cube,

the QED products are

the wall recessed volume controls, 4 in total
the 4 Way switch

The CD player is ONKYO.

wired all volume controls fine and wired speakers fine easy to get the polarity right. as terminations are coloured and labelled.

wired everything up.

speakers will function correctly when QED SS40 4 way switch pairs are turned on and off individually.

when pairs 1 & 2 are turned on together the speakers stop functioning correctly.

this also appies to pairs 3 & 4 when used together.

The fault that occurs is

1.Turn the volume control to maximum on pair 1 or 2 you will find that the volume is loudest on 1 and will decrease in volume instead of increase when turned from one to max.
2. go to the speaker set volume control in the opposing set of speakers i.e. if 1 is on max go to 2 and vice versa. turn the volume control up. now if you have two people with you you will note that the volume in both rooms rises as you turn that volume control to max.
3. turning either of the volume controls will make both completely seperately wired rooms volume decrease.

Now i've spoken to the company who the speakers were bought off. they blame my wiring i blame there stupid QED 4 way switch.

they sent me another new QEd 4 way switch. same fault occured even with the new unit.

I was then told to connect the 4 cores which go from one central location to each QED vol control all together in a set of connector blocks. all the left pos's together all the left neg's together and the same from the right.

i did this and all volume controls and speakers work fine.

i was also told to buy a cheap reel of speaker cable and run the cables across the floor to the volume controls to bypass the installed speaker cables,

wired into the SS40 turned it on, same fault.

can someone shed some light on this situation. hopefully you made it this far or even understood what i just said.

Sponsored Links
i've taken the volume controls out of the wall and connector blocked all the cables together L + R pos and negs. i turn the ss40 on and activate all speakers. all speakers come on. soon as the volume controls are re added the fault comes back.

also i added a Btech BT 13 4 way switch and that has a 200W RMS per channel rating and the fault was still there.

The problem is the impedance. The SS40 isn't the right product for you unless you can work out a way of maintaining an 4-8 Ohm load on the amp.

What is it you really need to do?

a) run 4 sets of speakers all together

b) select any combination of pairs 1, 2, 3 or/and 4

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back