BLUE CANDLE WAX ON WHITE BRICK FIREPLACE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP ANYONE I LET A CANDLE BURN TO LOW ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND IT
SPLATTERED ALL OVER THE BRICKS OF MY FIREPLACE. I USED A KNIFE TO SCRAPE AS MUCH AS I CAN BUT IT WILL NOT COME UP ANY WAY TO HEAT UP AND PEEL IT OFF OR ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL.
REMEMBER THE BRICKS ARE WHITE AND THE SPLATTER IS DARK BLUE
WAX.\
THANK YOU SO
KELLIE IN COLORADO

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/search/forum....t=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&mode=advanced

CAPLOCK.jpg

Trouble with candle wax is that it is soft and adheres to "rougher" surfaces. A trick with it on clothes is to put them in freezer, it then goes brittle and can be eased off, same on carpets, large lump of ice has done the trick sometimes. In your case white brick, you could try ice method leave for a while and see if you can ease of with some sort of craft knife. If you are lucky and the wax goes very hard it will come off and bring the smaller moulded pieces with it. Basically nothing to lose.

If the ice method does not get it cold enough, and I have my doubts if it will, the only cheap alternative is to go to local DIY store and buy aerosol of pipe freezer, mask of very carefully around wax and give the wax a good spray, use tube if possible and make say a foil enclosure to contain, to fire through. This drops the temperature very quickly and then try the craft method as above. In all these cases try on unseeable(?) spot first to make sure it is not marked making things even worse.

Molten wax "wicks" into the fibres of material.

Use a very hot smoothing iron to press absorbent cloth onto the wax until the wax melts. The molten wax may then wick into the cloth and leave the brick. There is a risk it may wick further into the brick .

A sheet of tin foil between iron and cloth will keep the wax off the iron and avoid staining the plate of the iron. There is risk of the hot wax on the cloth being ignited if the iron gets very hot.

Sponsored Links
tip from Udhi's school of muppetry:

Use a blow torch or similar to burn the wax off? mebbe alternately heat and dab with some cloth or tissue - keep some water and a sponge to douse the wall/cat/dog/pet/child should the inevitable happen.

YES it has worked for me b4.

udhi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back