blue screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas greatly appreciated.Have windows xp,problem is just lately when starting computer and clicking on isp (aol) after 2-3 minutes blue screen appears full of jargon basically saying computer has been shut down to prevent damage.Only way then to get things moving is to shut off manually,and restart which sometimes works but sometimes same thing happens.No new programmes loaded etc.Please bear with me (computer muppet)Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be a number of things. Post the message details including exception codes listed.

Hi thanks for reply had to wait for it to reoccur but here goes.IRQL _NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ***STOP: OX OOOOOOOA (OXOOOAOO5C, OXOOOOOOO2, OXOOOOOOO1, OX8O4DBC8E) Hope this means something regards J.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.I can understand why there is no direct answer as so many things can cause this problem. Will get it done by professional again,(happens twice a year,costs£100 a time, this is fourth time) j.

Did you try the repair install as the kb suggests? £100 sounds excessive unless parts were involved.

Have not tried any thing because microsoft state this can damage computer further,probably just a disclaimer but when your not sure? model is packard bell also has nec sticker on tower, about 4 years old.Perhaps its time to buy new one, if so what do you recommend?thanks, j.

Have not tried any thing because microsoft state this can damage computer further,probably just a disclaimer but when your not sure? model is packard bell also has nec sticker on tower, about 4 years old.Perhaps its time to buy new one, if so what do you recommend?thanks, j. By the way when the guy has fixed it previously he takes away the tower and says he empties the memory.

1. Do you ever, or perhaps even frequently, download and install any Microsoft Windows updates?

2. Have you tried returning to a Restore Point that predates the problem?

OK then. What work was done when you previously paid £100 for a fix?

And the second time it happened, did you ask the repairer why it had happened again, whether it would happen a third time, and what you could be done to prevent it?

I Agree, ths blue screens of death are anything but helpful, I dont recall the last one that was actually antyhing to do with the actual problem! Only this week for example I had one -unmountable_boot_volume - which would indicate, stangely enough that there was a problem with erm, the boot volume but no, all it was was a faulty sound card!
Anyways back to your problem, are you able to boot into safe mode? Maybe a system restore will be of use here.
When you get your pc back from paying £100 (I agree that the price is OTT if no parts are used, I do this for a living and if it came to the shop I would charge about £40+vat - maybe a bit more if I struggled with drivers - sometimes the case, or if I did a home visit it would be done on time + call out. Additional charge if theres loads and loads of stuff to backup from the pc - either way no £100)
When he "clears the memory" does the pc come back all sort of bare with all your programs and documents gone?
Dont be too concered about causing damage to your pc, the only time I have seen any part of a pc damaged (other than physical) is by overclocking and I assume you arnt overclocking.
Since the problem seems to occur only when trying to open AOheL then I would try reinstalling that.
Hope the above makes sence, if not post back.

Many thanks for all your input,but I must admit most of it is going straight over my head,albeit I do find it very interesting.As you can see, it was more a case of could it be a simple problem etc.Its just that the same problem keeps happening and the guy just says its memory full/virus etc in a very vague fashion.We only really use it to surf the net etc,dont keep anything stored on it.Regards J.

Sponsored Links
Back