BMW run-flat tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always liked the brand & am impressed by the emissions of the 2.0l 118i auto but can anyone advise me as to the pro's & con's of the one series. I'm concerned that the run-flat tyres could not only give a harsh ride but also be overly expensive to replace & with that in mind can the car be retro-fitted with 'normal' tyres? Yes I do understand that will mean no facility for a spare, maybe fall back on a 'instant repair' kit?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You can have normal rubber fitted to run flat rims, but best ask the tyre fitter about any pressure sensing system valves that could be fitted.
A pretty good move if you ask me, apart from no spare of course! Best tell the insurer too.
John :)

I think all cars fitted with run flats from the factory HAVE to have proper tyre pressure monitors in the wheels.

Personally if I haven't got a decent spare I wouldn't trust a can of goo to get me home.

All depends on the puncture and what punctured it though!.

Might be worth having a go in one with runflats, think they set the suspension up around the tyres.

Some tyre fitters shy away from ultra low profile run flats as they are dreadful to fit, apparently.....
I can fit normal tyres but never had the pleasure with the others.

Sponsored Links
I fit Bridgestone T30's to the motorcycles, the sidewalls on them are practically solid.

Would'nt fancy doing a low profile runflat either!. Think they have modified tyre machines for that though.

Some of the tyres we do (especially the older Bridgestone 023's) the beading will tear as they come off the rim the beading is that tight, stiff sidewalls.

I'd imagine it would be 50/50 if you could repair a runflat at all?.

The big tyre outlets usually have a policy not to repair run flats......well, they would wouldn’t they!
They will claim that there could be ‘unseen’ sidewall damage - can’t argue with that, but if the inside of the tyre isn’t full of rubber dust that part of it should be ok. I can’t see any problem with the usual vulcanised plug - from the inside of course.

I've had a SEAT Alhambra on run-flats and a VW Sharan on ordinary tyres. They are otherwise identical vehicles and were both brand new at the time. The VW felt more refined and I can only put that down to the tyres.

Many thanks for all the replies so far. I've spoken to my current insurers who are not concerned at the prospect of substituting normal tyres for the run-flats. I know the law requires a pressure sensing warning to be fitted to cars specified with RF's but I wonder (whilst appreciating this is not a BMW specific forum) if this system is still a MOT requirement if RF's are no longer fitted.

As far as I'm aware, it's not a legal requirement. It's a type approval requirement, but once the car is registered, type approval requirements no longer apply.

In any case, the system should still work. If it's an "indirect" system, it'll take its signal from the ABS sensors. If it's a "direct" system, there should be a little transmitter in the rim. Either way, swapping the tyres shouldn't bother it.

I’ve got 18” runflats on my 218i Auto (it’s a 1.5l), the ride is very good.

If I were to swap to normal tyres i’d get a second set of wheels and save the originals with the runflats.

I have 19" 35 profile on my mrs' 435 convertible. It will be getting normal tyres when they wear out. A lot of owners claim the RFs can damage the rims. But its really a cost thing. Not really up for £1k on tyres every 25k miles. They have fairly high pressure settings too. Well in to 40+psi.

Sponsored Links
Back