boarded loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i had a builder in to do my loft floor and they have put the board straight on the ceiling joist which caused damage, like cracked ceiling,and left us with a big bill to get in another builder to make it right, what i need to know is that the right way to do it, have i got a case to get my money back, would be grateful of any information thanks x :D

Sponsored Links
Ceiling joists are only meant to hold ceilings up, and the occassional water tank when suitably supported
If this was an official `loft conversion` the local building control would be involved, not to mention drawings and structural calcs.
If this is not the case, I guess the instruction must have been from yourself. Whether or not the first guy gave you so called advise as to the practicality of the method used, I reckon you have little to no chance of recovering any monies from him.
Hope is the second crew have at least beefed up the joists/support scenario, and told you the area is only to be for light use of suitcase storage.

Well most ceiling joists are designed for light storage.. if your using the space as habitable area then expect ceilings to crack as 2929twin has posted..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back