Boarding a ceiling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new here and looking for a bit of advice. Apologies in advance if this has been covered before.

I have done some general DIY plasterboarding in the past and have been happy with the results. I am currently doing up my house room by room and had a local builder and plasterer do the last room as it was a bit too much for me to take on but the smaller bedroom I want to have a go at boarding myself then just getting a plasterer in to skim over it.

The same builder is going to be taking the room back to brick and lat wall frame and I'm going to dot & dab onto the brick and screw boards into the lat frames. My question is are noggins really required as per this article? http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/feature/how-fit-plasterboard-ceiling

I'm sure the builder who did my big attic room didn't do this??

Sorry for the long winded post! Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Apologies in advance if this has been covered before.
My question is are noggins really required
Sure has & just a few days ago.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221422
As long as your joist spacing is no greater than 450mm, it'll be fine. Noggins are recommended for tape & fill (which is what he's doing in the article) but you don't want to be doing that, have it skimmed.

A word of caution when removing plaster/render back to brick for refinishing; a little known regulation under Part L of the Building Regs states that if you remove more than 24% from an exterior wall (& get caught), the whole wall must be upgraded to current insulation standards! So don’t get caught out if you’re having any Local Authority building inspection on other works your doing.

I would also ask you to seriously consider a full float & set plaster finish for the walls rather than a cheapo dot & dab job!

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before.
My question is are noggins really required
Sure has & just a few days ago.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221422
As long as your joist spacing is no greater than 450mm, it'll be fine. Noggins are recommended for tape & fill (which is waht he's doing in the article) but you don't want to be doing just that, have it skimmed.

A word of caution when removing plaster/render back to brick for refinishing; a little known regulation under Part L of the Building Regs states that if you remove more than 24% from an exterior wall (& get caught), the whole wall must be upgraded to current insulation standards! So don’t get caught out if you’re having any Local Authority building inspection on other works your doing.

I would also ask you to seriously consider a full float & set plaster finish for the walls rather than a cheapo dot & dab job!

Many thanks for your reply Richard. Ah didn't know about the 24% thing, I'll keep that in mind!

Sponsored Links
How old is the property, whats the construction of the walls, solid or cavity?

no idea if solid or cavity! I suppose I need to find out these things before posting :oops:
Yes it does help :LOL:; it could be single skin which is worth insulating while your going there but it's obviously more work & expense; are there any issues with or signs of damp?

If your stripping all the external walls back, your changing a thermal element & considering the age of the property, it's (strictly speaking) notifiable work & should be done to Building Regs Part L1B. You should also consider the benefit of making it compliant & having a certificate to prove it when you come to sell; the lack of one is increasingly causing problems if there is any hint that unauthorised building works have been done. LABC would almost certainly have you bang to rights under the 24% rule if they find out but tis your decision ;)

If your stripping all the external walls back, your changing a thermal element & considering the age of the property, it's (strictly speaking) notifiable work & should be done to Building Regs Part L1B. You should also consider the benefit of making it compliant & having a certificate to prove it when you come to sell; the lack of one is increasingly causing problems if there is any hint that unauthorised building works have been done. LABC would almost certainly have you bang to rights under the 24% rule if they find out but tis your decision ;)

Thanks again Richard. No sign of damp and I'm gonna find out if cavity or single skin, if single skin I'll look further into the insulation issue.

Thanks for all your advice, Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back