advice please on dry lining with insulation cellotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. i hope someone can give me some advice. i will be insulating my walls soon from the inside (there is no cavity), but only the external ones and not the bathroom or kitchen or i'd have to refit them both. so i'm doing three rooms. i have bought celotex foil backed insulation boards(8x4) for the job, a roll of polythene sheeting from 'wicks' (vapor barrier, 125 micron) and wooden lats someone gave me. i've not bought the plasterboard yet.
i was thinking of stapling on the vapour barrier and then screwing the lats on the edges and top of the walls and then intermittently, length ways down the wall. i then thought i would glue on the boards to the lats with 'no nonsense' grab adhesive from 'screw fix', cutting out the shapes of the windows and plug sockets, and then screw on the plasterboards on top with maybe 70mm screws,
then get it plastered
my other option would be to use thicker wooden batons, the same thickness as the boards, and screw on a frame and put the boards in between, before screwing the plasterboards to the wooden frame.
i would think it would be better insulated with the first option, but would the screws hold both the plasterboard and the cellotex to the lats ok?
has anyone tried this before.
any advice would be gratefully received.
thanks

Sponsored Links
why the vapour barrier? do you have a DPC? are you having damp issues?

if so covering it with insulation and a membrane isn't a good idea.

hi. i dont think there are any issues with damp, just someone recommended doing this in case. there is however, a problem with condensation inn the flat...

don't see the need for the vapour barrier then.

Insulating will help with the condensation as this is more than likely caused by the solid walls being cold.

also using only a standard emulsion on the walls, none of that vinyl type will help, gypsum is good at absorbing a bit of moisture from the atmosphere and releasing it when temperatures cool down in he room, kinda breathes a little, using bathroom type paints gives the moisture nowehere to go and it will condensate and eventually allow mold to grow.

Sponsored Links

Insulating will help with the condensation as this is more than likely caused by the solid walls being cold.

also using only a standard emulsion on the walls, none of that vinyl type will help, gypsum is good at absorbing a bit of moisture from the atmosphere and releasing it when temperatures cool down in he room, kinda breathes a little, using bathroom type paints gives the moisture nowehere to go and it will condensate and eventually allow mold to grow.

:LOL:

thanks for the reply. so do you think better to paint that wallpaper? and do you think the gypsum would be much better than this type of plasterboard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200554544643?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
and can anyone tell me if there is any disadvantage of screwing the battons on across the way rather than straight up and down?
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back