Advice on Insulating and plastering an old house please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I wondered if anyone on here could shed some light on a situation I'm finding fairly confusing!

I'm currently renovating an old 1848 sandstone house, I've added an extension to the house which is he simple bit as it's cavity wall 60mm insulation rendered externally and will be dot and dabbed internally and skimmed.

I've had a couple of suggestions ofwhat to do with the old house and could do with some advice as to thebest way to go.

I would like to add some insulation to the inside of the exterior walls so one suggestion was to render the Walls internally with sand and cement and waterproofer then fix insulation held in place by wooden lats onto which I can attach plaster board and skim.

The second suggestion was to render the Walls internally with sand cement and sbr mix and dot and dab insulated plasterboard and skim.

Both of these techniques will loose the breathability of he Walls and I'm unsure what the consequences of doing this will be if anyone knows?

I have looked about for ways to insulate with a breathable system and found far less I formation, the only real progress I found was using a lime render internally and then using a product called aerogel bonded to a breathable board. Which sounds great but aerogel was developed
By NASA and hence is way out of my price range!

If anyone has any advice or experience that could shed some light on the situation I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Hi John I have done an old cottage with stone walls. I plastered the inside and outside with Sand & cement render, with waterproofer in the mix. I Stuck on 75mm insulaiton, the one with the plasterboard already stuck to it. I used gyproc adhesive and plasterboard wall anchors. I didnt bother with the lime render, I just keep the house well ventilated and I have had no bother

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back