Insulating stone wall - too many options!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a bit of a noob so apologies if any of this is daft.

I would like to plaster the inside of an 18 inch exterior stone wall and thought it would make sense to insulate at the same time.

The celotex / yelofoam insulation boards seem like a good idea but from this and other internet resources there seem to be various options and my head is spinning a bit!

1. Batten -> Insulation -> Plasterboard
2. Batten -> Insulation -> Moisture Barrier -> Plasterboard
3. Insulation -> Batten -> Plasterboard
4. Moisture Barrier -> (air gap) -> stud frame inc insulation -> Plasterboard

The main priority for me is keeping it simple and I'm happy to spend a wee bit more if it saves hassle.

Option 1 looks simplest but do I need a moisture barrier?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the wall gets damp in harsh weather, you'd need a breathable membrane or a cavity, preferably the latter - I believe.

If the wall doesn't get damp, you can generally get away with throwing stud straight onto the wall, filling it with insulation, and boarding over. You need a vapour barrier on the warm side, to stop any internal moisture making its way to the wall. You can get insulated plasterboard with a foil backing - that foil can be used as your vapour barrier.

To keep it simple, this is what I did when I insulated my single skin cupboard:

Wall
Breather membrane (simple roofing breather)
Stud + 50mm Celotex
Celotex 12mm TB4000 (reduce thermal bridging) + tape on the foil joins
Plasterboard.

Space was at a premium, so I didn't leave the cavity I would have liked; it's made the world of difference. Don't forget to plan ahead for anything you intend to attach to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back